Wednesday 16 November 2011

Radio Days, Carmen Miranda and colourful clothes.

Last Christmas one of my presents was the vinyl soundtrack for the film Radio Days (1987). I have it on display in my home as the cover is great, like the film's poster the record cover is Mia Farrow (Sally White) standing in front of radio dials with a now vintage style microphone. It is set in the 1930s and 40s with writer and director Woody Allen narrating the story of Joe and his friends childhood memories such as their sexy school teacher and the Masked Avenger radio show.

There are some great clothes in the film, Jeffrey Kurland won a Bafta for Best Costume Design. My favourite is the multicoloured striped jacket worn by Sally for her part in a radio drama, try as I might I could not find a picture of it on the internet.

As you would expect from a film about radio, music is important; in fact there are so many tunes during the film that many are omitted from the record. One song not included is Carmen Miranda's 'South American Way' which  I now have on the CD Brazilian Bombshell's 25 Hits, I recognised a couple of the songs but unfortunately I only speak English so the lyrics of the others are a mystery but it's all good.

 'The Brazilian Bombshell' was born in Portugal 1909, her father loved opera music but did not approve of show business for his second daughter Maria do Carmo Miranda da Cunda. (Thanks Wikipedia). Like many people I associate fruit on the head and colourful long dresses with Carmen Miranda, her trademark outfit is favoured for fancy dress parties and by drag artists. I collect vintage dress making patterns and one I would love to find is McCall's Chiquita Banana Costume which I saw in a book. (Page 41. Laboissonniere, Wade. Blueprints of Fashion Home Sewing Patterns of the 1950's. Schiffer Publications Ltd. 1999).

Radio Days is fun, nostalgic and a delightful film, one scene has cousin Ruthie in exotic blouse, towel as a turban and colourful bangles doing 'South American Way' her way, arms and legs everywhere in this lovely clip.