Thursday 31 January 2013

Vintage clothing, Biba and Gina Fratini. Retromania.

Vintage clothing, I love the quality of the fabrics; crisp cottons and heavy weight hand woven wool. The immaculate stitching: bound button holes and shoulder pads made of wadding not foam and of course the spots & stripes, novelty prints and bright colours.

December has been a buzy month for me, I had a landmark birthday, booked my first holiday in 3 years to New York from which I have just returned and changed my job. I have only ever bid auction style on Ebay, but before starting my new job I attended 2 auction houses, one in Tooting and the other in Knights Hill, both in London. At the latter I fell in love with this piece of Biba attributed mulit coloured geometric print silk velvet 500 by 93cms length of fabric. I outbid 2 other buyers, each time holding my breath and waiting for the hammer to fall. As a child my mother made me watch her sew, in the 80s and 90s clothing was so cheap I stopped but now due to the crap fabrics and machine stitched hems I love sewing again, however I have so many vintage garments in my mending basket waiting for alterations to improve their fit on me I do not know when I shall find time to make clothes from all my wonderful fabrics including my Biba beauty.

 SOLD!

This new employment has involved passing through Pimlico/Victoria, an area I only previously went to decades ago when I had a saturday job in a record shop there, however I discovered in Pimlico just before you hit Victoria a wonderful vintage Fara charity shop called Retromania.

I have now added it to my list of favourite vintage shops; Beyond Retro, Pop Boutique, Radio Days and Wow Retro- Long Acre branch has closed visit the branch on Drury Lane.

I finally went on a Saturday morning and had a good rummage, I bought a 40s tweed skirt, an edwardian style 70s black velvet jacket and a black and white polka dot maxi dress by Gina Fratini. I Googled her name when I got home and guess what! she designed Elizabeth Taylor's wedding dress for her second marriage to Richard Burton and dresses for the royal family. I wore my dress on Christmas day. Come the summer I shall pull my hair back, don big black 70s sunglasses and in my Gina Fratinti maxi dress take a day trip to the coast.